Today we are going to review the Samsung Galaxy S21. Samsung smartphones were introduced early in 2021. Smartphones have been updated in design and in filling, but here the difference between the Samsung Galaxy S21 and S21 Ultra has greatly increased. If we talk about S21 and S21 +, then smartphones are really close to each other, but the price differs significantly.
This Samsung Galaxy S21 review will help you understand if the new Samsung model is worth buying. In our review of the Samsung Galaxy S21 we will consider:
- Samsung Galaxy S21 design.
- Convenience and functionality of a smartphone.
- Samsung Galaxy S21 specifications.
- Samsung Galaxy S21 camera.
- The results of the smartphone test for strength and speed.
- Comparison of the new samsung galaxy with analogues.
Samsung Galaxy S21 review – smartphone design
In appearance, the concept of the plus and the regular version completely coincide. The back is a matte plastic case. There are different colors. For ultra, these are two colors: black phantom and silver phantom. For Galaxy S 21+ Purple, Silver and Black Phantom.
Samsung redesigned the camera modules very well. They are now in the corner in a dissolve and combined with the metal frame. It looks cool. On the front side, everything is the same, the thinnest frames on the sides. Center cutout for selfie camera.
The Samsung S21 smartphone is an example of compactness. It fits perfectly in the hand, not heavy or slippery. The S21 + doesn’t feel huge in spite of its size. Ultra, against their background there is always more, although the difference is not as big as with the “plus”, but it is felt much more massive. Fans of compact smartphones will primarily look at the S21.
The set includes a box, various brochures and a paper clip with a wire. In general, Samsung once again ripped off Apple’s experience as a carbon copy and did not put the charging adapter in the kit. Basically, it only comes with a phone and cable.
Convenience and functionality of a smartphone
Everything you need to know about core placement:
- All S21 smartphones lack a headphone jack.
- There are two additional microphones on top. In general, the smartphone has a lot of microphones.
- There is nothing on the left side.
- Below is a slot for 2 SIM. The memory card is not supported here, so initially choose the amount of memory that you will need.
- The type-C connector for charging and the main ringer speaker is also on the bottom. All phones here support the stereo function, while the sound quality is excellent.
- On the right side there is a volume button and a lock-on button.
The fingerprint sensor is built into the display. The display itself (6.2 and 6.8) is Samsung’s latest generation of AMOLED displays. A huge margin of brightness both in decreasing and increasing.
The display is absolutely top-end, it’s just a pleasure to watch videos, films on it, HDR is supported. As regards the display, everything is in the “best traditions”: a dark theme is present, as well as the possibility of in-depth customization. For example, if you don’t like too bright AMOLED colors, you can make them warmer.
At the same time, there are such chips:
- Comfort for the eyes – it adjusts itself to a warmer one in the dark and if in the light, it is whiter, brighter, colder and more readable.
- As in the previous generation with rounded displays, although the display is flat, you can put an EDGE panel when additional icons appear on the side. Convenient if you need to open something without going to the main screen.
- Almost-on display – the function of the always-on display works perfectly, there are no questions or complaints about the work of this function.
- Support for a 120 Hz sweep frequency – there is an adaptive sweep frequency, that is, the smartphone itself looks at what is now on the display. If this is a game, or some kind of content that supports 120 Hz, and gives an advantage due to increased hertz, then it activates this frequency. If this is an ordinary photo, then it makes no sense to turn on 120 Hz, so the smartphone will remain in 60 Hz mode.
The volume of the smartphone is amazing. It can be compared to the sound coming from fairly large speakers. If suddenly, you look at it or play games without headphones, you will understand how the smartphone produces high-quality sound.
Samsung Galaxy S21 specifications
The main indicators of the Samsung phone:
- Display 6.2 inches, AMOLED, 2400 x 1080, 120 Hz;
- Main camera: 64 MP + 12 MP + 12 MP;
- Processor: Exynos 2100;
- RAM 8 GB;
- ROM 128/256 GB;
- Battery: 4000mAh.
In terms of processors, the entire S21 line received an update in the version for Russia and the CIS countries in the form of Exynos 2100. A new processor with a new technical process with an architecture closely resembling the architecture of Snapdragon processors.
The Samsung Galaxy S21 and S21 Plus only have 8GB of RAM. And 12 and 16 GB is only in Ultra. But to be honest. 8 GB is an excellent indicator and the speed of work raises no doubts as a “workhorse” or “a smartphone not for games” everything is fine.
There is no heating in any applications, the smartphone works quickly and very smoothly. Basically, the claims go to the processors. Exynos has some problems with games compared to its Snapdragon counterpart. This is mainly about stability. In the case of the Samsung Galaxy S21 and S21 +, and with the Ultra, there are some oddities.
In Antutu, the smartphone is gaining 548,561 points, which is quite a strong indicator among the new flagships of 2021. In the case of games, the result is the same. For example, in tanks, with maximum graphics settings, with all filtering, anti-aliasing, with the maximum amount of everything, FPS 60, but sometimes the frame rate slightly drops to 58 or 59 FPS.
Plus, in the same tanks, the smartphone heats up very much. There is no such heating in Call of Duty and in other toys. In terms of games, if this is important to you, then so that this is not observed with FPS, look at the version with a Snapdragon processor.
The smartphone shows excellent results in battery life. When the smartphone is 100% charged in the morning, during the day it can be used to perform daily operations in multitasking mode, taking photos, videos, by the evening it shows about 40% of the charge. These indicators say that the smartphone will live in peace at least until the end of the day, or even a day and a half. At the same time, a similar figure puts the new model higher than its predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy S20 – by the evening this gadget left 20% of the charge. This difference is, in fact, tangible.
Support for fast charging is present (not included), as is support for wireless charging and reverse wireless charging (for accessories). Charging is fast, the smartphone is half charged in less than half an hour and the smartphone is fully charged in less than an hour.
In terms of communication, everything is standard. 2 SIM cards plus e-SIM support. There is support for NFS, WiFi 6 generation, Bluetooth 5.2.
Camera Samsung Galaxy S21
In the S21 and S21 +, as in the case of last year’s S20, this is one of the best solutions currently on the market. Moreover, this applies to both photos and videos. The Samsung Galaxy S21 camera effortlessly copes with any mode (day, evening, night shooting or video shooting). The phone writes everything with excellent stabilization even at 4K 60 FPS. The entire S21 line also writes in 8K.
The capabilities of this camera are really good. Photo of excellent quality. The pictures are clear, beautiful, detailed. The same can be said for videos. There is artificial intelligence as an additional feature of the camera.
For example, “cinema mode”, the smartphone starts to introduce as a variation of shooting on all three main cameras and additionally takes you on a selfie camera.
The selfie camera also shows an acceptable result.
System strength and stability test
The smartphone has Android 11 version with ONE UI 3.1 shell. The system is fast, functional, works well, there is nothing superfluous. There is a store of various themes, wallpapers, fonts, and so on. There is support for Samsung Dex (used to connect computer peripherals). A review of the Samsung Galaxy S21 did not reveal any problems, bugs or glitches when using the system.
The phone uses Gorilla Glass Victus. What you should know about display scratches, on the Mohs scale of hardness:
- Levels 2 and 3 are plastic scratches. They do not remain on the display.
- Levels 5 and 6 are glass scratches. The scratches are deeper than level 7.
- Levels 7, 8 and 9 are sapphire scratches. Less deep.
- Level 10 – Diamond.
It should be borne in mind that the smartphone display is equipped with 2 protective films, plus there are also films on the sides. Before the test, all films were removed from the gadget.
The side parts are made of aluminum and can be scratched without any problems.
But the back panel is made of frosted glass and keys, coins and even a sharp blade just rub against this glass, like sandpaper, and 90% of such abrasions can simply be erased.
The camera module is made of glass. Glass is more pliable to scuffs, therefore, treat the gadget with care.
About falls on a concrete floor, then:
- No chips or cracks were noticed from the height of the pocket.
- At ear height, if the device lands on the camera, the same camera module may be damaged, and the protective elements will simply begin to fall off from it.
- At ear height, if the device falls with the screen down, the protective glass will withstand the impact.
- When landing on the end part, chips and scratches will begin to appear with each fall.
- The smartphone is able to withstand one fall from a height of three meters, while the display or glass of the back will not crack.
In general, for owners of phones that do not wear cases, the Samsung S21 will come in handy. But, if the smartphone often falls out of your hands, then the cover will not be superfluous.
Compare Samsung Galaxy S21 and iPnone 12 Pro
The new Samsung Galaxy S21 has plenty of competitors. Even from the same Samsung, the Galaxy S20 smartphone can still be found on the shelves. In general, the question is posed as follows: is the S21 a big step forward compared to the S20?
The appearance of the camera has changed, the processor has become faster and more powerful. Otherwise, this is the same Galaxy S20, on which, by the way, there are at least no complaints about the results of last year’s experience of using.
If we compare the Samsung Galaxy S21 and the iPhone 12 Pro, these are two devices that are similar in their capabilities and functionality. The confrontation between Android and iOS systems will not be taken into account, but in terms of technical aspects, you get plus or minus classmates. It is worth considering that the new Samsung Galaxy is slightly better in terms of filling and comes out at a price less than the iPhone 12 Pro.
Samsung definitely wins in price – Samsung Galaxy S21 is about 20% cheaper than iPhone 12 Pro. However, it is worth considering the fact that Apple products are stronger and more durable in use.
This is achieved through the use of better quality components. Despite the fact that the Samsung Galaxy S21 slightly outperforms the iPhone 12 Pro in terms of performance, the iPhone still slightly outperforms the Samsung in benchmark tests.
But the bottom line is that the average user will not notice absolutely no difference in the speed of smartphones. All these benchmark tests are of the “just to get to the bottom” category. In fact, both smartphones are fast.
Should you buy the Samsung Galaxy S21?
A review of the Samsung Galaxy S21 allowed us to draw some conclusions. The Samsung Galaxy S21 and S21 + are, in fact, the younger version of the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra. But, on the other hand, here is a list of everything you need:
- good processor;
- gorgeous display;
- moisture protection;
- good cameras;
- autonomy is higher than that of the predecessor model.
The phone, in fact, meets all the necessary requirements in terms of functionality: 5G, Wi-Fi 6, NFS, and more. If functionality, quality and speed of work are important, plus the word Android means more to you than the name of the operating system, then buy the Samsung Galaxy S21.