There are obstacles at the beginning of any business. Often these are just myths that have no serious basis. The same can be said about opening your own online store. Below are some common myths.
Myth # 1 – “You need money to attract buyers”
Indeed, it is difficult to promote an online store without money, but it is quite possible. After all, there are free tools:
- pages on social networks: an excellent starting point for attracting customers with high-quality and useful content (no spam);
- create a separate section “Blog” on the site and use content marketing promotion;
- e-mailing: if you have a small customer base, this service is free.
To increase the customer base, it is worth placing the subscription form on a page on a social network. Remember, when using free tools instead of money, you are investing your time. You need to be prepared for the fact that it will take a lot of time and effort to promote your online store.
Myth # 2 – “Having serious start-up capital”
Start-up capital is really needed, in particular, for the purchase of goods, the creation of a website, and the organization of the delivery process. At some points, you can save:
- Storage of goods. At first, a separate room is unlikely to be required. Small items can be stored at home. If the product is large, the best option is to rent a garage. You can also use dropshipping when you act as an intermediary between the customer and the supplier. The latter is engaged in the delivery of the goods. Profit is the difference between the wholesale and retail price. An important condition for dropshipping is the availability of trusted suppliers.
- Website. In the beginning, you can get by with free or less expensive platforms or social networks.
- Photographers Service. Self-shot sharp shots are a great option. The right lighting is enough to take high-quality photos even with a regular smartphone.
Myth # 3 – “Creating an online store is too difficult a task”
You can create an online store by your own efforts, without resorting to “contractors”. There are free platforms where the process of creating a store is very simple and resembles the process of building a designer (for example, Ecwid). If you have a page or community on a social network, you can embed your store there.
Myth # 4 – “High Competition in E-Commerce”
There is always a buyer. The most important thing is to find a unique selling proposition. It is this that will favorably distinguish you from the rest. Here are some ideas that can form the basis for a unique proposal:
- production process;
- terms of Service.
For example, creating jewelry according to individual sketches will be an excellent offer for those who love original jewelry and do not want to be content with “stamped” pendants, earrings, rings, etc.
Myth # 5 – “A new store must be credible”
The buyer gets an idea of the product through the presented photos on the site. They must be clear and believable. For example, when selling T-shirts, take multiple shots from different angles. It is imperative to indicate the final cost on the site so that the customer does not need to call and clarify again.
Clear terms of delivery and payment will also be an advantage for your online store.
A little personal information about yourself and the reasons for opening this store will also not be superfluous.
In order for customers to become permanent, you need to systematically remind yourself: periodically update information about the product, about promotions, etc.